Divorce Attorney In Kansas City: 10 Advantages Of Collaborative Divorce
Your divorce attorney in Kansas City, Hugh O’Donnell, knows the advantages of the collaborative divorce method. The collaborative divorce process involves each spouse securing legal representation. The spouses and their attorneys then enter into an agreement to work together to resolve all the issues of the divorce, including child custody, child support, spousal support, and property division questions.
Here are the top 10 advantages of collaborative divorce:
- Reduction of Stress – There is stress involved in any divorce. There is an increased level of stress associated with court litigation in divorce cases. The collaborative divorce method can actually lower stress, as you automatically place yourself and your family outside of the court system.
- Improve Communication – The collaborative divorce method emphasizes working together to create the best possible resolution for all parties involved. Communication between yourself and your respective divorce attorney in Kansas City is essential to creating a lasting resolution.
- Privacy – Negotiations through collaborative divorce are kept private, whereas in a divorce litigation, anyone can access your paper trail of information through the courthouse. If children are involved, the collaborative divorce method helps to keep their privacy as well.
- Decision-Making Power – Since both parties are working together to create effective divorce resolutions, the decision-making power ultimately stays within your hands instead of a judge deciding what is best through litigation.
- Comprehensive Support – An additional benefit of the collaborative approach to divorce is its interdisciplinary nature. We bring in other professions such as financial planners to assist with the financial aspects of the divorce, as well as utilizing a divorce coach or mental health professional who can assist in reducing stress and improving communication.
- Cost Reduction – Any court litigation will be expensive due to the discovery process and other litigation expenses such as depositions, trial preparation and trial. Within the collaborative divorce method, you work alongside your divorce attorney in Kansas City and a few others, automatically lowering your divorce costs.
- Establishes A Healthy Co-Parenting Relationship – The collaborative process is especially well-suited to divorces where children are involved, as it helps parents begin to work together for the benefit of the family. This can be incredibly important to the well-being of a child because, while parents may no longer be spouses to each other, they will always be parents to their children. Creating a healthy co-parenting relationship establishes trust within your parent/child relationships.
- Amicable Resolutions – What might be good for one partner may not be for another, and a collaborative divorce attorney in Kansas City can help create effective, amicable resolutions that both parties agree with.
- Post-Judgement Issue Reduction – Because the goal of collaborative divorce is to create lasting resolutions, post-judgement issues are reduced because each spouse has taken the time to help create solutions that benefit all parties involved.
- Promotes Trust & Healing – Working together through a divorce is hard work, yet, through the collaborative divorce method, partners are able to establish trust and healing as they define effective solutions to benefit all parties involved.
Hugh O’Donnell introduced the collaborative divorce method to Kansas City in 2001, and has since used this method with numerous family law clients to help them through the divorce process. If you feel the collaborative divorce method is right for your family, please contact us today for to schedule a consultation, or call us at (816) 533-5152 with any questions you have regarding the collaborative divorce method.